Last Updated: 06/10/2019
This document describes how Nike Inc. and its affiliates (collectively “NIKE”, “we”) collect, process, and transfer personal data about job applicants. Please read it carefully.
1. Responsible party for personal data processing
The entity responsible for the processing of your personal data is the NIKE entity to which you decide to apply for a position. For more information, visit https://jobs.nike.com/.
2. Types of personal data collected
We collect your personal data to take pre-contractual steps at your request, to comply with legal obligations and to pursue legitimate interests of NIKE such as to transmit personal data within the NIKE entities for internal administrative purposes. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we collect the following personal data from you in connection with your job application:
- Information collected through the online application form such as: name, address, gender, telephone number, email address, user name, password, CV/Resume and other files that you chose to upload regarding your qualifications, work experience, education history, location, right to work, previous or other employment, name and contact details of references, how you heard about the job, reason for leaving your previous employer and availability;
- Information that you provide or that we collect through the recruitment process such as: salary information, position, department, date of birth, location, willingness to relocate, start date, whether the position or the applicant has a restrictive covenant, whether the position or the applicant are eligible for transfer or secondment, type of employment contract, payment structure (e.g., hourly or salaried), full-time or part-time status, professional membership, jurisdiction, expat status, language spoken, assessment of qualifications, licenses or certifications required to hold the position.
3. Special types of personal data
NIKE does not process special categories of personal data. However, there may be circumstances where we will process such data, such as, (i) you have consented to the processing of this personal data for one or more specified purposes, or (ii) the processing is required or permitted by applicable law. These special kinds of personal data include data about a person’s religion or philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, political opinions, health, sexual life or sexual orientation, genetic or biometric data, personal data concerning trade union membership as well as criminal behavior or offenses. Please refrain from uploading such information in our online recruitment platform.
4. Purposes of the processing
Your personal data will be used by NIKE for various purposes, including:
- To support the job application process, including to evaluate and assess your experience and qualifications, to conduct talent management activities, to communicate with you about your application or the job alerts that you request and to complete the on-boarding process if we offer you a position;
- To record and monitor the total number of job applicants, establish if you are an internal or external applicant and, in some circumstances, to record who was your previous employer;
- To provide technical support for the use of our online recruitment platform, including password retrieval;
- To comply with or monitor compliance with any applicable law or regulation to which NIKE is subject; and
- To assist NIKE in exercising legal rights, including supporting any claim, defense, or declaration in a case or before any jurisdictional and/or administrative authority, arbitration, or mediation panel.
NIKE may also use your personal data to solicit information from you, including through voluntary surveys, to help us improve our recruitment process and experience, or to contact you about future opportunities. Subject to applicable law, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for these additional purposes. For more information or to exercise this right, please reach out to your recruitment contact at NIKE or email email@example.com.
5. Disclosure of personal data
NIKE may use service providers (data processors) to process personal data on our behalf, such as to offer and manage our online recruitment platform, determine your right to work and financial benefits, provide relocation services, conduct talent management activities, or to conduct surveys on our behalf. We enter into contracts with service providers (data processors) to process your personal data only as needed to perform services on our behalf and to implement appropriate data security measures to protect the data.
If you choose to sign in on our online recruitment platform with a third party account or to upload your resume data from a professional social network, we may share information with those third parties to allow you to benefit from these functionalities. We are not responsible for the data practices of those third parties and we strongly suggest you review their privacy policies.
We or our service providers may also disclose personal data where required or permitted by applicable law (including allowing lawful access to the data by U.S. or foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities).
6. International data transfers
Your personal data will be stored in databases used by the human resources department, which are part of NIKE’s global human resources information management system (“HRIS”). The personal data in the HRIS is maintained (either primarily or as a backup system) on a server by NIKE Inc. in the United States of America (“U.S.A.”). Your personal data, therefore, will be transferred to the U.S.A., and will be administered from there.
When your personal data is transferred to or accessed from other countries that do not have an adequate level of protection, NIKE will implement appropriate safeguards to ensure that your personal data remains protected. If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we use a variety of measures to ensure that your personal data is adequately protected in accordance with data protection rules, when transferred to the U.S.A or another country outside of the EEA. These include the signing of the EU Standard Contractual Clauses, verifying the recipient has adopted Binding Corporate Rules or adheres to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework. Where personal data is transferred within Nike, we use an intragroup data transfer agreement.
7. Data security
We make reasonable efforts to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk of the processing of personal data. Taking into account the costs of implementation and nature of the data processing, we apply technical and organizational measures to prevent unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration or misuse of personal data. Access to your personal data is controlled through the system security within our recruitment platform, systems and network. Your personal data is only accessible by a limited number of human resources professionals, NIKE personnel and our recruitment agents who need access to your personal data to perform their duties.
8. Data retention
NIKE will retain your personal data for as long as necessary to complete the application process and for as long as necessary for the purposes set out in this policy (or for as long as your Taleo account remains open), unless a longer retention period is required under applicable law. If you are not offered a position with NIKE, we may contact you about future opportunities consistent with this policy and your expressed interests and qualifications.
9. Access and other rights
Subject to applicable law, you may request (i) access to and a copy of your personal data; (ii) correction of your personal data if incomplete or inaccurate; and (iii) deletion of your personal data in certain circumstances. You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation. Where we have obtained your consent for the processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent, we will apply your preference for the future. When we receive a request, we may ask for additional information from you to verify your identity. We will comply with your request to the extent required by applicable law. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may consult with a supervisory authority.
If you have questions about how NIKE handle your personal data or would like to exercise your rights, please reach out to your recruitment contact at NIKE or email our Privacy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Candidate Request” in the subject header.